View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
When does a boat become a custom model?
Joe Kriz
#21 Print Post
Posted on 12/26/13 - 11:39 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I am adding more info to this thread on a Sakonnet 16 model in case others here still are having problems determining what they have.

First and Foremost, the interior of a Boston Whaler hull in those days determined which model it was when it left the factory.
If it left the factory as a Bare Hull, then that's exactly what it was. No model, just a Bare Hull.
You could customize it anyway you wanted.

You can't really compare a Whaler to cars because cars generally have a body change for models, not interiors like Whalers.
A Ford is a Ford, A Chevy is a Chevy, and a Whaler is a Whaler. That is a brand.
So, for Whalers, if the interior is changed, so is the model according to Boston Whaler catalogs as shown above and many other places here and in the Boston Whaler catalogs.
Again, the interior tells us what model it is and most of us can tell just by looking at it, what model it is now.

If you start removing parts of the original interior, as described by Boston Whaler, then you are customizing the interior and the model.
If you add a factory style stern seat to a Nauset, then it would become an Eastport as shown in a link above.
If you remove most all interior parts and add aftermarket parts, then it would become a Custom model as shown in a link above.

This all comes directly from the Boston Whaler catalogs. Not this site.
If I look at any Whaler and can't tell what model it is, then it comes under the "Custom" model name.
There is nothing wrong with a Custom model and Boston Whaler even mentions customizing models in the link I already gave above.
Many people Customize their Whaler to suit their needs. Look at all the Custom models in our personal page section.

What model is this?
http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...r_id=15487
Doesn't matter what it left the factory as or what model it was. What model is it now?
It is a very nice Custom model that this member made to suit his needs.
There are many other members that do the same thing using aftermarket parts to suit their needs.
I don't think there is one Whaler part left inside that boat that I can see. Doesn't really matter though, does it? As it is a Custom model.

Below is Boston Whalers description of a Sakonnet 16 which includes all Bare Hull equipment plus:
(see attachment from the BW catalog)

Joe Kriz attached the following image:

[47.3Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 12/26/13 - 11:40 PM

tom blinstrub
#22 Print Post
Posted on 12/27/13 - 3:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hi Joe,
I had a 1967 boat with the forward platform,console,wooden rps seat and rear "park bench seat"like a Eastport.What model is it?

Joe Kriz
#23 Print Post
Posted on 12/27/13 - 1:24 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Excellent question Tom.

If they were all original Boston Whaler parts, then:
That is called the "Full Monty". :-)

Actually it would most likely be a Sakonnet 16 with the optional stern seat.
Optional interior options were basically, RPS, Stern Seat, Bow Platform.
Those options basically determined the model.

All of us know the standard configurations below as described by Boston Whaler:
1. Nauset = wood console, wood bench pilot seat
2. Eastport = wood console, wood bench pilot seat, wood stern seat
3. Sakonnet = wood console, wood reversible pilot seat, wood bow platform

Here are some other possible Gray areas.
wood console, optional RPS = Nauset with optional RPS
wood console, wood stern seat, optional RPS = Eastport with optional RPS
As you mention above = Sakonnet with optional stern seat

Here is one that can be confusing if you just look at the boat.
What model is this? http://www.whalercentral.com/images/S...et_rps.jpg
wood console, RPS, no bow platform = ?
Some people automatically think it is a Sakonnet.
Some, like myself, think it is a Nauset with the optional RPS like I mentioned above.
With this one, you would need to look further to see if this hull has screw holes where the platform was removed.
It can't really be 2 models at once. Can it?
1. Nauset with the optional RPS
2. Sakonnet with the bow platform removed
Both of the above boats would look identical.
However, if it never had a front platform, then it most likely is #1.

So we need to go back and look at what the standard configuration is according to Boston Whaler.
Boston Whaler can only tell us what the model was when it left the factory.
Boston Whaler cannot tell us what the model is now which could be entirely different, as mentioned and shown above, in the "Custom" configurations.

In my mind, I go by Boston Whalers standard configuration when looking at a boat.
It is what it is now.
#1 Nauset, #2 Eastport, #3 Sakonnet
And those models should have the standard configuration with the possible options as mentioned above.

Silentpardner
#24 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/13 - 5:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

When does a boat become a custom model?

When you change something on the boat to fit your needs outside of the Whaler catalog. That is my opinion.

huckelberry145
#25 Print Post
Posted on 12/28/13 - 8:11 PM

Comments: 3

I agree with you Jerry if it's a major change to the shape of the interior and changes to the furniture of the hull. I saw a 13' going down the road today that had a casting deck fiberglass to the bow. It looked nothing like the sport it once was. Therefore it is now a custom. But I also want to add another example. My own 15' custom "Striper". Although I used as much OEM parts as I could and have it pretty darn close, Boston Whaler did not make a Striper in 1996. So calling it that would be misleading from a reference standpoint.

bareboatin
#26 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/14 - 5:18 PM

I hope I selected the correct subject for my question.
First by the rules , I just purchased a 1975, 16 ft Whaler and I do not know the model for sure.
It has a 70hp Evenrude and yes I know the spelling is not correct. This boat is MINT condition and has been garaged all its life and I got it from the original owner estate. This boat has a bass fishing pedestal seat on the front , center console with bench seat . From what Ive read it's a bass fishing model. I did not know Whaler made a bass fishing boat ? Joe, where can I find the Whaler invoice that shows the accessories etc. like the example you printed on your post.
Thanks for any help and take it easy on me if I left out something obvious since I'm new Chuck

Joe Kriz
#27 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/14 - 5:35 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Chuck,

Yes, Boston Whaler made many models including the "Bass Boat" model.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=30

Not sure that is what you have or not without seeing any of your photos. Do you have any photos?
You can also view Bass Boat models in the members personal page section but there aren't many of these models around.
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...page_id=65

Take a look at the other 16' models and see if any look similar to yours?
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...allery.php

Joke:
Now why would you want us to take it easy on you?

Joe Kriz
#28 Print Post
Posted on 03/24/14 - 5:40 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I have had documentation showing the Options for several of my prior Whalers. Also shown as Packing Lists possibly.
It stated the model, accessories, etc.
See these "Packing Lists" in our Downloads section:
http://www.whalercentral.com/download...p?cat_id=5

Clyde in TS
#29 Print Post
Posted on 04/16/14 - 5:54 AM

Based on the information you have provided, Joe, I would have to state that the 15 footer I purchased last week is a highly specialized custom. A previous owner removed the interior and fitted it with a one piece superstructure consisting of aluminum gunnel and interior braces attached to an overhead canopy that locate a centralized welded aluminum console. Even the stern lifting eyes were removed. I suspect they ran nets with sideboards and used the Whaler for shrimping, crayfish harvesting, or crabbing. I am undecided as to what I will do with it as yet other than install my old Mercury 504 motor on it. Whatever I do, it is nice to have a Whaler again.

cg

Joe Kriz
#30 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/14 - 5:05 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Here is other documentation from Whaler about what makes which model I had been looking for..

NOTE:
PARTS - SPECIFY MODEL

See the attachment below.
To find out which parts belong to which model, look in the catalogs or in the previous discussions in this thread on page one.

Again, if you remove the original parts and replace them with aftermarket parts, you then have a "Custom" model.

If you change or add any genuine Boston Whaler parts, then it is possible you could change the model.
Like Spuds has done from a Nauset to an Eastport.

This is directly from Boston Whaler and we follow what they have documented.

[51.26Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/12/14 - 3:27 PM

Whalerbob
#31 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/14 - 6:53 PM
Personal Page

I bought a 1989 Montauk about 19 years ago, I'm the second owner with all original paperwork. At the time it was all original but I've made some updates / changes over time but not sure what pushes it into "custom" land, seems subjective. I appreciate those of you who keep everything "original" but I don't believe that's what we're talking about our what delineates between what's custom or not but tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't really care, I'll change my profile to "custom" if recommended but I'll always consider it a Montauk and I've never had anyone ask me "what kind of BW is that", it's a Montauk but I'll be the first to admit it's a "tricked out Montauk for sure.

NOT looking for an argument but what options / upgrades / changes push it over the line?

Replaced the metal fuel tanks with 12 gallon tempo's?
Added 6 hp kicker?
Replaced standard cooler with Yeti 105 Qt?
Replaced stern light with perko light on the console?
Added 9 rail mount rod holders plus one on the port transom?
Added Mills Bimini?
Raised RPS height using block method?
Added storage rack under RPS for plano boxes?
Added bow mounted electric motor?
Moved battery to the console?
Added custom swim platform?
Turned a 54 qt cooler into a bait bait well that sits on a platform on top of the transom sump area?
Non factory electronics?

I think that's it...

Edited by Whalerbob on 09/19/14 - 7:19 PM

Joe Kriz
#32 Print Post
Posted on 09/20/14 - 6:56 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

but not sure what pushes it into "custom" land, seems subjective.

WOW. Really?
Boston Whaler puts out the guidelines as I have shown many times above..
Too bad you are having problems after reading all of the above.
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother trying to show any information on this site.

If you have no clue on what a Custom Model is, please search the internet as it seems I can't help you here on this site.
I have given everyone all the information that Boston Whaler describes as their models.
Pretty simple in my mind what Whaler describes as a certain model and what it is.

Good luck in your search.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 09/20/14 - 7:41 PM

ritzyrags
#33 Print Post
Posted on 09/20/14 - 10:44 PM
Project Albums

Comments: 36

Point well taken Joe..
Let us see what intrinsic point of view may develop from this stance.
After all;
We have very little choice in the fact that we are living in some of the most uncertain times of late..
Whaler background and history should be what the site is all about.
Please feel free to rant all you want
As I will be keen to hear of your views.
In the fact that we do all have a personal understanding about the Whaler name.

Edited by ritzyrags on 09/20/14 - 10:45 PM
Dont lie
Dont Cheat
And dont give up..

Joe Kriz
#34 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 4:57 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Very frustrating sometimes ritzy.

2 pages of information here on what makes models different as they all have the same basic hull.

I remember when some people thought all Whalers that were ever made were called Montauks.
That would make it easy.

captn chumbucket
#35 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 4:59 AM

I guess when I complete decking my 1969 13', and leaving a 24" cockpit w/ center console, it would be considered "custom"? (read sarcasm)

Whalerbob
#36 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 5:10 AM
Personal Page

Obviously I've crossed the line but if changing a fuel tank or adding a cup holder makes the boat a custom then pretty much every older boat here is custom.

Sorry this is such a sore subject for you, good day Sir.

Edited by Whalerbob on 09/21/14 - 5:34 AM

Joe Kriz
#37 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/14 - 10:38 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Whalerbob wrote:
if changing a fuel tank or adding a cup holder makes the boat a custom then pretty much every older boat here is custom.

Now where did you read that?
I don't see that anywhere here.

Only removing the interior that came with that particular model and replacing it with aftermarket console and seat(s) etc. changes the model.
The catalogs tell us exactly what different consoles and seats etc., came in the different models.

Everyone should be able to figure out what this model is by reading this post.
What is this model?
http://www.whalercentral.com/images/p...edited.jpg
Answer = ?

Here is a hint for everyone.
Whaler never made a console or seat like that.
Doesn't look like any model Whaler ever made.

If anyone mis names their boat model here, (usually by accident) it will be corrected.
If a member doesn't know what model they have, then ask and also look at our Whaler Models and Specifications section.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...allery.php

Here's something else for everyone to figure out if they are interested.
What is the difference between these 3 models of Outrage 21' within the same year?
Outrage I
Outrage II
Outrage III
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=11

Reel Easy
#38 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/14 - 6:10 AM

Joe K: Great question about the numeraled models of the Outrage 21. Please share the answer. In addition, it appears that BW was building two different hulls during the latter years of the original Outrage 21 run. It could be that people misidentify the actual year of their Outrage.

e_digg
#39 Print Post
Posted on 09/22/14 - 6:17 AM
Personal Page

I would like to add more confusion but not to ruffle any feathers for sure.

I just purchased a 1971 13' and contacted Boston Whaler to get the history. It was listed as a "Sourpuss/Sport/Special" when it left the factory. Now take a look at the below pic:

http://s751.photobucket.com/user/e_di...7.jpg.html

It certainly looks like a Sport, so why not just label it a Sport? What makes it a Special? Is it the side rails or lighting?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Ed

Edited by e_digg on 09/22/14 - 6:18 AM

Joe Kriz
#40 Print Post
Posted on 09/26/14 - 4:42 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Ed,

You answered your own question.
It certainly looks like a Sport

That is definitely a Sport model in your photo link.
It also has the optional Side Rails for the Sport model.
Whether it has optional side rails or not, it is still a Sport model.
The optional side rails will only fit a Sport model.

The rails for a Sourpuss are completely different and would also include cushions and seat backrest. Yours is NOT a Sourpuss model.

Regardless of what model this might have been when it left the factory, it is a Sport model now with optional Sport side rails.

I can't understand how Whaler could have told you this was 3 models in one.
Sourpuss/Sport/Special
That would be like a Corvette/Impala/Camaro

They list 3 models in 1971 in the catalog.
1. Standard 13' (tiller model)
2. Sport 13' (console and wheel steering)
3. Trophy 13' (stick steering)

(not in the 1971 catalog but shows up later is the first production run of the "Sourpuss" model. Sourpuss wrap around side rail system included. Bow rail optional as was the Sport model.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=18

I also gave you more information on why you do NOT have a Sourpuss model in your other thread.
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ost_128404

Below are the prices for the 3 models shown in the 1971 catalog.

[18.89Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 09/26/14 - 5:03 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 12:23 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.50 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,699,410 unique visits