View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Trailer Tires: when is it time to replace?
Phil T
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 2:39 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

A friend of mine recently bought a 1970's 13' whaler and on the 70 mile trip home, the trailer blew a tire on the Maine Turnpike. As we all know this is everyone's worst nightmare. It was a nightmare for him, even with my phone support. 

For the record, the tire tread and sidewalls looked in good shape but the tire age was unknown. The tire completely disintegrated. 

This event got me thinking about my trailer tires. The tires are 2003 and have low miles. Visually the tires look fine and hold pressure. 

Given that they are 8 yrs old, hold the boat 99% of the time and are dunked in salt water, how do you really know when they need to be replaced?  

While I currently don't have a spare, given my friend's experience, I will be getting one. 

I am pretty happy with the brand (Load Star) so I don't need help there.

What is the consensus for when to replace the tires? How old is too old?

Would you buy just the tires and remount them (jacking/blocking the trailer) or get new rims to save the hassle and potential mounting issues?

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Meridian
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 3:00 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Your friend can check when the tires were built from markings on the sidewall. Tirerack.com has good info on trailer tires. I wonder if your friend had checked the tire pressure before he started? 55 lbs is about the minimum for a trailer tire and that is rated at 55 mph.

Trailer tires wear out in time, not miles.

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 3:06 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Great topic that's been discussed before on many other boating threads, glad to see it brought up on WC.

In your friends situation, even though his tires looked good and had low miles, they sat for long periods in one spot which is terrible for tires. I typically replace my tires every three years. Trailer tires are different than car tires and trailers should only have trailer tires on them.

A group of friends of mine and myself, went on a long road trip with our boats this past July 4th weekend. The guy in front of me had a blow out on his tandem trailer and was seriously pissed off about it because he just spent a ton of money refurbishing his trailer. Upon questioning him I found out that though he put new bearings, bunks, lights etc on his trailer, he neglected his tires because he felt they looked okay. Come to find out his trailer hasn't been used in 7 years and the tires were 11 years old. To top it off they were car tires. It only makes sense that the tire would blow out with a combination of 102F temps, and highway speeds of 65-70 mph. This is a good set of circumstances to create a blow out.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

JohnnyCW
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 3:17 PM

On the RV forums I visit, its commonly stated trailer tires have an expected life span of 3-5 years with 5 years being the maximum.

I tend to replace them about every 5-6 years but because I visibly see deterioration such as drying and even cracking which is waiting too long. My trailers sit outside in the Florida sun all the time and its a rough environment on tires. I've never had one fail on the road but I am pretty good about making sure they are properly inflated. Under inflation is the most common cause of tire failure supposedly.

blindeman
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 3:27 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I am in the same boat. Sorry, bad pun. But, I bought a trailer that sat for 20+ years. I bought new hubs but haven't replaced the tires yet. They look great - but I know I could end up like your friend easy enough. Sometimes, dry rot is not easy to see.

My trailer pulls a Sport 13 and has a single axel w/ 8" tires. So, they're easy and inexpensive to replace. My thinking is, what's a few $ to have peace of mind?

Bruce Lindeman
1992 Sport 13

Tom Hemphill
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 3:32 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Last year I had the unfortunate experience of a trailer tire disintegrating in the middle of nowhere without a working spare. I will never repeat that experience. Henceforth, I will always carry a spare, and will replace tires if they are eight years old, no matter how they look.

Derwd24
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 3:44 PM

Comments: 9

Phil T wrote:

While I currently don't have a spare, given my friend's experience, I will be getting one. 

Always a very good idea Phil, and a great thread topic too.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

Rico
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 4:36 PM

I am in the process of buying a whaler from a member here on this forum. This subject has come up between us (buyer/seller). thanks for bringing this much overlooked subject to light.

Gamalot
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 4:54 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

A trailer tire blow out is almost always a complete disaster! I will never know what came first but on my way from Maine to NY I had the misfortune. Tire blew or the leaf spring broke and by the time I got stopped the fender was torn right off the trailer and the tire and wheel were junk. It actually bent the axle and I ended up buying a new trailer after all the expense of towing and temporary repairs to get me home.

If you tow your boat any distance then it is imperative that you keep up on tires, bearings and springs. If your boat spends most of it's life sitting on the trailer then it is smart to have a system in place that gets the weight off the axle, wheels and tires and protects the rubber from the sun and ground.

The 5 year max is a good plan but you can stretch that if you take some precautionary measures. Always allow some time for your wheels and bearings to cool before dunking them after a long drive. If your lights are the old style bulbs then it's a good idea to unplug before you dunk. Also a good idea to check the lug nut size of your trailer wheels and have the correct wrench with you. It is probably not the same as your vehicle lug wrench.

gacto
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/11 - 8:03 PM
Personal Page

Great thread. Now i'm worried! I'm leaving in 2 weeks for smith my lake va, longest tow to date from NJ. Trailer was new last year, but sat as a 2007 leftover. I towed last year chincoteague from NJ without issue. Tires were low recently, pumped to 35lb, rated for 60 loaded but my compressor would not get them up that high. Should I add more to 60, are they still under inflated? They don't look it. Have a spare mounted on the trailer tongue.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

CES
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 4:56 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Yes, add more air to those tires. Just take the trailer to a tire shop or the gas station to pump them up. My trailer tires are rated for 60psi as well but I run them at 50psi. 35psi isn't enough pressure.

Cliff

Mambo Minnow
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 5:17 AM

Florida sun is brutal. After 5 years, the Carlisle radials on my boat burst and peeled at rest in the storage lot one tire at a time. I replaced with Marathon radials, specifically reading the sidewall to avoid the ones made in China. Just towed over 1,000 miles without incident.

Gamalot
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 5:32 AM
Personal Page

Trailer tires have a load rating such as 1750 pounds marked on them. IMO, if you are towing a 3000 pound boat any distance with tires rated at 1750 or 3500 for both then you should air them up to the full 60 PSI. More than any thing this helps with the side to side sway.

The three major causes of trailer tire failure are under inflation, constant ground contact and sun. If your trailer is parked on the lawn then certainly get the tires up and off the ground. I use old aluminum road signs under mine. If parking for long periods such as over the winter then jack the trailer up and block the frame so the tires will rotate and the springs are relaxed. Tire covers can help to block the direct sun and keep some of the rain and snow off.

One other thing when trailering is to have the weight distributed properly. Too much weight in the rear of the boat will cause the tongue weight to be too light and is very dangerous. At some speed the trailer might begin a side to side wag as I am sure many of us have seen where a trailer appears to be like a dogs tail wagging the entire vehicle. On most single axle trailers the weight at the ball should be 200 pounds and a bathroom scale on level ground can be used to check it. Your trailer should also be level when on the hitch and they sell drop down receivers in many sizes to accomplish this. Use one up side down if your hitch is lower than the tongue but get the trailer as level as possible.

JohnnyCW
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 7:36 AM

I've always been told and read that a trailer tire should be aired to its rated maximum cold psi to achieve best reliability and durability.

Every tire on all three of my boat trailers, a utility trailer, and my travel trailer are rated maximum 50 psi and that is where I keep them.

Anyone know or been told anything different?

CES
#15 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 7:50 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

The max tire pressure is required for the tire when running the max load rating for that tire. If you're running less weight, then less pressure is needed. If you do run max pressure without running max load, the tires will wear unevenly in the center of the tire.

My whaler tires are 8ply and rated for 100psi. I run them at 55psi because the 13' whaler isn't that heavy. For our other boat, it's a tandem trailer and the boat is very heavy so I run those tires close to the max pressure.

Cliff

Gamalot
#16 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 8:26 AM
Personal Page

I agree that running full max when carrying a much lighter load is not necessary and could cause premature center wear. What I am unsure of is just how much less air is acceptable to the manufacturer. I do know with automobiles the listed PSI inside the door is the only pressure they want you to go by at all times. My F-250 Diesel said 80 PSI but I always ran them at between 65-70 for a more comfortable ride unless I had a full load behind me.

I don't know Cliff but it sure seems an 8 ply tire rated for 100 PSI under a 13 foot whaler is a bit stiff. My Montauk trailer is bigger than it needs to be and the Duro Tires are rated as 4 ply tread, 2 ply side walls 1360 pounds at 50 PSI.

CES
#17 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 8:34 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Every 4.80 size 2 ply tire I've had on that trailer, I've blistered. I may have went overboard on the tire but I went ahead and put an 8ply 5.40 size high speed rated tire on there. I typically tow at 70mph for many bours at a time which is pretty fast for those tires and also the reason I went with a larger and beefier 5.40 size tire. The bearings run warm but are never hot.

So far I've run the 8ply 5.40 tires round trip from Dallas, Texas to Atlanta twice and also round trip to south Texas in 100F+ heat and they've held up much better than the 4.80 2 plys I've used in the past.

Edited by CES on 07/09/11 - 8:37 AM
Cliff

Gamalot
#18 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 8:45 AM
Personal Page

Good points! I never considered the Texas heat and higher travel speeds. It sounds like you are running either 8 inch or 12 inch wheels and tires which I am very much against on my personal trailers. I have gone so far as to change wheels, tires and even fenders just to loose those baby tires.

CES
#19 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 8:52 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

I'm running the 8 inch tires. With the 5.80 tires, I barely fit them under the fenders. There's enough clearance for axle movement and tires travel though with no rubbing issues.

If I had the option to run 13" or 14" tires, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Road trips from just north of Dallas to just north of Atlanta are usually 13 hours long and we drive straight through each way.

Edited by CES on 07/09/11 - 8:52 AM
Cliff

Gamalot
#20 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/11 - 9:05 AM
Personal Page

Agreed! There is a way to calculate the rotations and comapare between 8, 12, 13, 14 and 15 inch tires and those tiny 8 inch ones are going about twice as fast as a 13.

Keep your eyes open when you see broke trailers along the highway and note the tire size!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 6:16 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.23 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,989,625 unique visits